See

This piece is a rooted in stories and pictures about 3 memories that are very close to Dhinesha's heart. It was an exercise from Arielle Cottingham's workshop held by Spill The Ink.
I performed this piece for Georgetown Literary Festival's closing ceremony, an open mic session curated by the If Walls Could Talk team.

The assignment:
1. Share stories based on pictures with our partner
2. Freewrite with those stories in mind
3. Extract 5 favourite lines/parts and piece them together
4. Edit the piece and add in motion to represent the words
5. Present the work in progress with the motions and receive critique.

My critique was:
1. Create a constant circular motion through out the performance
2. Pull out expressions from that pool/universe I have created with my circular motion
3. Stretch and express certain words
4. Play with rhythm and sound

See see see sea
See water
See breeze
See me
Sea

The seas par        ted.

See it became hard when you and I parted.

It was hard,
it was hard when I hardened my heart
you and I will never be ONE heart
Still my heart and went ahead with my head
to draw strings like chance and
spin threads into silk
Like when silks and strings brought you and I
to see eye to eye.

See, goodbye became hello and now I see you
you see me and all is forgiven because it is a time for chance.

Still.
Stillness.
Steal this chance.
See you, see me, see you, see us, see...
We are the beauty that people see
Call me crazy
Because I don't see you like how you see me.

Bring me down, pull my hair out,
bust my heart open
because I tell you my secrets.

Like a seaman thirsts for water though he is surrounded by it
He wants the same thing but yet something different.

I busted out and built a beautiful base for busy minds
Busy business dreams
basically all the crazy so every city bustled
with buses to see and find myself breathing by the sea.

Busy business minds
Mind my own business but
Butt in in mine
And my mind minded me
And my base is the basis of business
And I was busy.

Busy like ports
Black smoke
Dust and steam
Intertwine and engrave the air
making creases and textures
forged in hours.

By the hands of busy men
Interested in the sea and laced with ambition
Woven and connected
Layered upon dreams and pride
Silk roads, day dreams
Caviar and coral reefs
All sailors at sail in the sea.

Now I see differently and call you by name
Seasides, way sides
I was blindsided.

Besides,
now you and I can see eye to eye
If an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth,
Then see with my eyes
See how I see you...

Beautiful silk
Beautiful creases
Beautiful textures.

Strings tying and never dying, trying and flying

See me as I see you
See yourself in me.
See myself in you.

- Swit Marie
0222H 22nd November 2017
Bahagia HQ




Swit Marie is a 'Jacqueline of all trades' who loves wearing plaid
When words fail, she allows movement and emotion to carry her through
A believer in making dreams come true, s
he would love to collaborate with you
An explorer starting fresh and would only give her best
She stands in the gap and will only call it quits when it's a wrap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

2020

This Is Malaysia