Wall

It was our 56th official show throughout the course of 3 and a half years. Each person in the Walls team had a chance to speak for one last time during this humble and captivating open mic hosted by The Gaslight Cafe KL. I tried to write a poem and thank all the people that have stepped in and out of my life because of the time we spent together within these walls. With the closure of Gaslight and the ending of Walls, I hope more people will step up and take the mantle in fanning the flame for the community.

I am not very good at saying goodbyes
This is not the time that I will try
These walls have heard our voice
People have laid, jumped, crawled and stood here with poise
This is the place where bystanders become poetry writers
And first timers become organisers
This is a labour of love for the people within these walls
For all of you sitting down and standing tall
I hope that you have experienced love, empathy and comfort
With every word that was spoken and all of our effort.

Its time for all in the community to step up, fill the space that we are leaving behind, and grow beyond anything we have done so far.
It has been my utmost pleasure and joy to serve this community in the ways that I can, to watch more new faces find solitude in this craft and share what inspires them.

Mel, you are my older younger sister, a mentor and a passionate women who fights for what you believe in and aspire for. I will always be with you, thank you for letting me be here and helping you in the front lines. You got this.

Han was always been there present and your words carry much weight. Thank you for bringing print into the picture and showing us the side of two can tiger Han. You are a legend.

Afi is the face of composure and knows all the need to knows in the Twitter verse, always working her Canva magic and doing the ground work for Spill the ink, to give us the opportunity to grow.

Lily, thank you for your good vibes, easy flowing nature and beautiful photos. You keep it fresh and relevant so that the masses can consume what we feed the internet. Yassss!

Mama Lia has always helped us find a home in poetry, she not only taught me writing but also wrangled us every month as we try to weave productivity, catching up, shenanigans and walls stuff.

My heart goes out Johann and his team who let us build a home here and Tasha for being the sunshine in our lives, Riz for always capturing the moments, our friends and partners who have patiently stood by us and supported us week in and week out.

Each of you have added so much value to my life and I am humbled to have the chance to work with you. The work never ends and we will be doing greater things together next year.
I am beyond blessed by all the constellations of poets that have light up my journey and fertilised my growth in the past three years.

I will miss this monthly communion where we break our walls and drink this craft together for the revival and comfort of our souls
I have met the most interesting and colourful people in these 3 years thanks to this place
I have learned to love the craft and push myself to always give you all something new when I step in front of this Mic.

Dамы и господы спасибо вам большое за стихами, жизнью и рассказам
Ladies and gentlemen, thank you very much for your poems, stories and life.

- Swit Marie
13th December 2018
The Gaslight, KL


Swit Marie is a 'Jacqueline of all trades' who loves wearing plaid
When words fail, she allows movement and emotion to carry her through
A believer in making dreams come true, s
he would love to collaborate with you
An explorer starting fresh and would only give her best
She stands in the gap and will only call it quits when it's a wrap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

This Is Malaysia

2020