Child-like Maturity

This is a collaboration piece written by myself and the talented Amanda Danker from Team DemiGods for the 'Postcards for Mount Olympus' event on 18th December 2016. This piece was inspired by our opposing states of who were are and what we are expected to be age wise.

Ever wondered what it is like to be,
To be your actual self without inhibition
Without inhibition by society and your community,
Your community that is of a certain age and type.

Childish (adj) Immature.
Growing old is mandatory
but growing up is optional.
There is no reward for:
Tantrums and unrealistic demands
Impatience and selfishness.
Most people still live their lives
in jungle gym politics, cafeteria cliques and hierarchy of expensive toys.

Mature (noun) Fully developed physically.
I have not been the fastest bloomer, height wise
but I am an old soul.
They tell me if I am small,
others will come to my aid,
will pick me up with their wings and worries.
Like a child I will be carried.

Childish (adj) Silly. Youthful.
For every time people say they are getting old
I say, you are as young as your attitude
We all should laugh a little louder
Have a good chuckle every now and then
Why so serious all the time?
Life need not always be a draft of cold, stale air
Lay away the heavy burdens.
Be alive! Explore!
Be energised by discovery and curiosity.

Mature (noun) The ability to respond to the environment in an appropriate manner.
That's what people say, don't they?
The state of mind that we all aspire to be
but I have seen grown men and women,
simple-minded and straightforward,
carry the decisions of nations.

Childish (adj) Innocence.
Restore to me my innocence
Where words do not have concealed meanings
When intentions are only pure and sincere
People are dependable and have no alterior motives.
The world can still dream beyond expectations
and dreamers can rule the world.

I have always been one that
behaved older than I looked
Expected to deliver more than I can give
Step up to the play before I am ready.
What I desire to be is - childlike.
To function as an adult but see the world with child-like hope and tenacity
To be like a child.

But maybe, there is nothing wrong with either.
Nothing wrong with acting like a child and nothing wrong with being more serious than you require to be
but we must all learn to learn from one another
To find the right balance,
because society will not let us be
Be our actual self without inhibition.

So we'll do it ourselves.

- Amanda Danker and Swit Marie
1430H 15th December 2016
TDG HQ



SY is a 'Jacqueline of all trades' who loves wearing plaids.
She doesn't believe in things that fade and fulfills the promises that she made.
She seeks the hearts of the troubled, to be a listener in times when things are doubled.
She's the kind who stands in the gap, who will only call it quits when it's a wrap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

2020

This Is Malaysia