Behind the Scene: View Points

This blogpost is a behind the scenes thought process of how the 'View Points' piece and performance came about. It is The Muruku Murmurations 2nd year Anniversary, 23892 views on the blog and 400 likes on Facebook! Much thanks and appreciation is due and this is probably the best way/place to start.

This piece came about as I was trying to write something new for the slot I signed up for If Walls Could Talk Vol. 36 this July. It is a rare opportunity for me to be given a chance to perform twice in a month and I am tremendously thankful for it. My first performance was the Rather Spectacular! Showcase which was a result of the So Fab Lah! Workshop conducted by Spill The Ink and facilitated by Scott Sneddon.

For 3-4 hours over the course of four days, we had a rather intensive workshop that produced spectacular results. We learned the Suzuki Theatre Method and had a glimpse into the world of the View Points Method. It is true that this wasn't for everyone but I wanted this for me. I had always had a struggle with discipline which was ironic because I was the face of order and discipline back in the days of my teens and youth. I was always about doing things by the book and never bending the rules.

The truth is that due to my previous profession, we were forced to always break the rules, do what needs to be done and do it so well that you wouldn't get caught. There was an severe absence of stability in my life and I had lost my principles, character and form. I couldn't define nor recognise myself anymore. After leaving the profession, I had strived to build myself back up again, piece by piece, block by block and principle by principle. To be honest, this is all still a recovery process and I am far from being whole or the best version of myself. I lacked consistency.

This one week workshop showed me what discipline looked like and made me relive the times I had to give more than I could give and still be expected to deliver. This tested my capabilities to focus and remain composed, this made me realise that I still am able to push myself when I needed to perform. It restored my state of mind and the fighter spirit in me. This showed me that rules are there and there is so much space and possibilities to work within the rules without breaking them. There was order in the midst of chaos and there is marvelous harmony in the midst of absolute resonating unity, such a beautiful experience that is absolutely irreplaceable and remarkably uplifting.

Each participant had their own issues, challenges, skill sets and mindset. It was a treat as it was very intimidating to work with them. In a nutshell, thank you all for changing and building me as a person and performer.

My Teachers
Angelia Ong
Mama Lia, you gave me a foundation and a chance to learn actual poetry. Thank you for being patient with us, taking us seriously and imparting all that you can despite all the commitments you have and how tired you would be. Thank you for taking the time and effort to customise every homework, task and exercise to what each of us needed at the time and give us an education that is more than just writing. You made us better human beings.

Scott Sneddon
An enthusiastic, experimental, energetic expatriate from Australia, you have toured, performed and ventured into this craft for years. Thank you for seeing the potential in the scene here and genuinely wanting to share your knowledge and train us. I am humbled and thankful for all the direction and strength you raised within me. Thank you for your praise and always being interesting, you are the lighthouse of hope that makes waves of changes everywhere you go.

My Sister in Walls
Melizarani T. Selva
The pillar of everything that is spoken word in my life. You openly and willing care for this scene and the people in it. You have mothered this community and brought it up to so much more than anyone thought it could be and you are still hustling. I am blessed with this opportunity to work with you a log side you and see the tremendous results in every poet that has come in and out of If Walls Could Talk. I have you to thank for all this, you always believed I my and saw something in me that I could not see. You always want me to grow and be better, you always check in on me and made sure I never miss out. Thank you for being my sister in rhyme, I wouldn't be where I am without you. Thank you.

The 'Veterans'
Afi Noor, highly respected in the scene and has an extensive powerhouse of vocabulary. You are mature in your craft and an directors eye to make necessary changes and movements in order to put out a great work. Thank you for boosting me up when I wanted to run away from doing text. Thank you for sharing the major roles with me, I still admire you.

Jack Malik, a rockstar who runs by his own rhythm and is idolized by many. I have always found your support very humbling and it is an honour to work with you, you have so much more you can do and I always look forward to watching you command the stage.

Dhinesha who speaks with tenacity and boldness with grace and power. I really didn't know you were that new I the scene, you certainly didn't show it. I love how you are about flow, balance and counter balance. I am so encouraged by your energy and fight to be the thing that the stage needs. You were so fun to work with and yes, I trust you one hundred percent with my life.

Nana who is amazes many and spews such vivacious pieces with her intense mouthpiece. You pushed yourself so hard, I was legit afraid you would collapse but you challenged me to be better than myself. Though you all said you were drawing energy to push from me, I just wanted to give and fight as hard as you all were. You are strong.

Tasha, my classmate in Angelia's poetry class who always write beautiful and creative works that delights us all. It is always a pleasure working with you because you are the positivity and stillness everyone in the room reacts to. I still tell myself that I want to be like Anastassia Irina. I love you to bits and am thankful for your presence in my life.

My New 'Acquaintances'
ZuZu, I didn't know what to expect from her aside from a very strong, no nonsense character. Your voice is like no other and you are extremely talented. You are a wildcard that added layers of flavour into my life and I am enriched to have met you.

Adriana who has her enticing voice and charm but so shy and uncertain. When you looked up as you performed, I was cheering inside because you embodied and believe in your confidence, grace and words. We looked at you transform and you made art come alive, I am encouraged to keep believing.

Bronz who is so young, innocent and whimsical, she was the inner child in us channeled out onto the stage. You have so much potential and much to give, I learned to not underestimate the power of  raw expression and emotion, the potential it has to endless possibilities. Thank you for being you.

Timothy. An engineer who knows only zeros and ones, lines and martial arts. It was so cool to work with you, it was such an eye opener to see things the way you see it and hear your views. It was first hand experience to a first timer and the end results were priceless. Your courage to dive in to a form that you had no idea about and just worked the stage, I am amazed at what the human mind and body can do when you simply had the intention to do it. Thank you for LTLTTP! You made it awesome!

Melissa. The most experience in music and theatre who was so threatening and engaging, she could eat any of us alive. You are a powerful, strong, captivating and interesting person and performer. You brought a standard to our group and made us push to keep up and that made us improve exponentially. Thank you for challenging me to give and do more because you do.

With that said, I was really struggled to write something new in time for the show. What we did for Rather Spectacular was 70% arranged but 30% improv. We had made and poured out what we could on stage and I was asking myself, "How in the world am I suppose to top that?"
I knew I was not at my best or peak yet but the pressure was overwhelming for me now. I had learned that this is the kind of performance I can do but how to I apply myself to the writing and open mica that I do from now on. How do I replicate these results and do this again?
I ended up scribbling points on my hand while collecting cover charge at the door. I went outside during break to charge up and warm up, stretched and focused, tried my best to shake off whatever ill feeling I had, unnecessary thought and tried to process what I wanted to do for the piece. Some ideas came to mind and I had my piece in my head. I hope I made Scott proud and delivered a piece that is worth the training he put me through.

I really did not like how unprepared I was.

Every person signed up for our slots fair and square and I had made a decision to do mine on that date, as such, I should honour that chance or privilege I had been given to me. Because I have been in the scene actively for 2 years and  struggling to find my style of poetry, I cannot just read from my phone and think that is acceptable. With what I learned from Scott, it would be an utter waste if I did not try to apply it with the opportunity I was given and it would be down right irresponsible of me. It would be disrespectful and disappointing if I had just whipped out my phone and read. I felt responsible because I knew I had so much more I could bring to the table and I should never settle for delivering less than I am capable of. I knew my standards and the standards Meliza and Han want to maintain in the scene. Though it may not have been polished or the best, but at least I brought something valuable to the stage and I was really surprised at the response from everyone.

I hope that gives you all some insight to what transpired to what you saw on stage for 'View Points' last week. I wrote the piece to post it here and if possible, I will add on to the piece to further develop it.

Plans for the rest of the year:
• Produce another zine with a few collaborators
• Post up some new items that some of my friends have agreed to feature on the blog
• Perform more theatre poetry
• Collaborate with visual artist for postcard poetry
• Continue Poetry Around the World project
• Continue supporting the Poetry scene and collaborating with Speak City Asia

Special thanks to my mummy, you have always supported me and given your undying attention to listening to every word I share with you from the day i learned to speak till now.
Special thanks to Sashi, Ian, and Adila for constantly supporting me in everything that I do, for being there at every show I do and encouraging me to go further than I think I can.

Thank you for reading this all the way till the end and I truly appreciate the support and encouragement you have given me in this journey of poetry.

Thank you!

Much love,
Swit Marie



Swit Marie is a 'Jacqueline of all trades' who loves wearing plaid
who thinks in rhyme all the time
A believer in making dreams come true, s
he would love to collaborate with you
An explorer starting fresh and would only give her best
She stands in the gap and will only call it quits when it's a wrap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

This Is Malaysia

2020