Fresh!

It is almost the end of the year and there was a lot that has happened since the birth of 'The Muruku Murmurations'.

Welcome to a fresh look and feel to the blog like freshly fried muruku right out of the wok.
.


'The Muruku Murmurations Issue #1 Zine on display at Zine Canteen hosted by Odd One Out Magazine at Awegallery. Unfortunately the zines were sold out and it was a collective decision not to have any more reprinted. With that said, I will be working on new material and publishing my own zines next year. I am looking at having a special issue for collaborations and guest murmurators if they are interested. Proceeds of the zine sales will be used to fund a new project called, 'Poetic Art Around The World'.
'Poetic Art Around The World' is a collaboration of artwork by random artists from Malaysia and poems inspired by their art work turned into postcards that will be sent to selected people around the world, 15 different countries to be exact! This effort is to encourage people to use the postal system for something more than just official business and to surprise love ones around the world with something special every now and then. I would like to see poetry and art travel around the world and reach people in different countries with hope that it will encourage them and inspire them to live their lives, chase their dreams and have a little fun. Each postcard will have a theme to create awareness on a certain topic, support a local charity or just a life lesson.

Photo credits: Az Samad

Aside from hosting our own 1st year anniversary show which was a success thanks to the wonderful support of those who helped, contributed and attended. This was taken at my first solo open mic at 'If Walls Could Talk Vol. 23' in October. I was dressed as Ahsoka Tano from Star Wars: Clone Wars and Rebels. It was truly an exhilarating experience cosplaying for the first time in my life, I made the costume from scratch and with help from my ever supporting mother to alter the dress. Since it was my birthday month, I was determined to chase my dreams and do the things that I have always wanted to do. Dress up for Halloween (my absolute favorite holiday), cosplay as a Star Wars character and perform poetry all in one night, that was more than anything I could ask for to add experience to my life. My family at 'If Walls Could Talk' also celebrated my birthday there and I would not have traded that for anything else.Thank you all at Walls, especially Meliza, Han, Tasha, and Johann, for being so welcoming and accepting of me in the poetry scene. Special thanks goes to Mama Lia for not only teaching me poetry writing but helping me out of that darkness that I was trapped in.

Photo credits: Praveen Kumar

I recently partnered with Speak City Asia to run a Poetry Pop Up Shop #POPS at Talent Lounge.
Talent Lounge is located in Damansara Perdana in Mustapha Kamal Building. They are open from 10am till 6pm, Mondays till Saturdays. We have a selection of poetry related books and zines from all over Malaysia, Singapore, Nepal and the UK. You can drop in anytime, the super cool staff there will assist you. If you would like to place your books with our store, please e-mail me at speakcityasia@gmail.com or talk to me at the next Walls event. *hint hint*


Tonight we will say farewell to Kafayat Quadri, an amazing Nigerian musician and poet Slam Champ and say hello to Harry Baker, World Slam Champ and TED speaker extrodinaire. Next week will be our second last show for 'If Walls Could Talk' for the year. You don't want to miss Omar Musa from Australia. Kevin Lau will also be performing, one of the upcoming poets that has taken open mics by storm and gracing us with his whimsical words about experiences of the 'Pseudo Poet'. See you there at Gaslight Music and Cafe at 8pm on 30th November, Wednesday.


As you know, Joanna and Sheril have gone their separate paths in their journey in poetry. You can read their works here . I am glad to see them both exploring and expanding in their own way.
If you would like to submit your works or collaborate with the Muruku Murmurations, do not hesitate to send us an email. This blog is still a safe space for aspiring and upcoming writers/poets/expressionist to speak their thoughts and share it with the world. I am excited to end this year with a bang and kick off next year with awesome things to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

This Is Malaysia

2020