Broken Hope

We've seen lakes together.
We've walked along seashores.
Together we gathered broken glass
sanded by the calm waves.

You poured me sake
everytime I wanted a drink.
From a distance I cared for your tired body
after a long day of driving.

Often I posed exaggerated gestures.
You laugh at me comfortably.
This was more than enough
to bridge the language barrier between us.

Each late night though,
I hear your voice lowered
while you talked over the phone.
I suppose you are someone else's.

Today I met her.
Her smile is painful for me to see.
My shoulders squared to greet her
as I forced a laugh down my throat.

I bowed my heads many times
towards both of you
while you stand a perfect match
in front of my shaky toes.

I travelled afar in your own country
and seen kindness in peoples' faces.
I console myself with this rare gift
as I watch both your hands wave me goodbye.

- Dumay




I am Dumay from the Cordilleras (mountain) region of the Northern Philippines. 
I write poems everyday so I could survive, so I could tell myself that I am living.
I write about the Cordilleras and beyond. I was born and raised here and I have no problem in dying here. The mountains is my source of inspiration. She is my muse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

This Is Malaysia

2020