SB: The Family Portrait.

"Today, I challenge you to write a poem that takes the form of a family portrait. You could write, for example, a stanza for each member of your family. You could also find an actual snapshot of your family and write a poem about it, spending a little bit of time on each person in the picture. You don’t need to observe any particular form or meter."

"Do not smile so much!"

My mother's voice cuts crisp across the flash,
As her eyes quickly dart a warning at me.
From the corner of my eye I see her,
And quickly drop the dopey grin on my face.

I am 11 years old and in a pretty frock,
Butterfly clips in my long black hair,
As I am poised on the arm of a big chair,
Like a prop.

I slouch over, sweltering under the 650 lights,
And am immediately prodded at the side,
To straighten up and "sit tall",
By a singular manicured nail painted blood red.

My father resides in the big chair,
Already disinterested before it has even begun,
In his crisp shirt, suit & tie,
I feel him silently wishing for this to be over.

"Alright, everybody ready?"
I hear the photographer call,
A quick glance over & I get into position,
My mother's satisfaction is the only way out.

So I stretch my lips slightly,
Push my cheekbones up high,
Careful not to show my teeth,
Or droop my shoulders.

A flash and again and we're good to go,
And the picture then hung on the wall for years,
To be noted by guests who stop to see,
This perfect portrait of a family.

To me that picture is a great fat lie,
I love the family for the imperfections and how we get by,
So if you look closely you will notice,
My fingers in the portrait tightly wound like a bodice.

- SB
4.07pm, 27th May 2016
Taman Puchong Prima 




SB is a conflicted soul of sorts, who is mad enough to go chase after what she really loves as opposed to conform to society and her mother's idea of a successful person. She prays she makes it in life, because she will not be able to tolerate the nagging that would follow if she doesn't. Her inspiration comes from everything around her, as well as made up situations in her head. Good luck distinguishing between the two. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

This Is Malaysia

2020