Remembering July 16

Nothing beats a broken heart.
Perhaps broken glass panes can.
The once disco bar, Batawa

is now our dance studio.
Today, as I am writing this,
is the 16th of July.

The studio has cracked walls.
Perhaps not a remnant of the earthquake
but of people’s soles that beat the floor

so hard it broke the walls.
Sometimes there are just pieces left behind:
broken hollow blocks, crooked iron bars, rotting wood,

shards of glass windows – that needs ordering.
I always like to think
that when there is earthquake

the gods are dancing.
Inside the studio the smell of Batawa still lingers:
sweat, kisses, sex, and curses

of miners, farmers, and all failed lovers.

- Dumay




I am Dumay from the Cordilleras (mountain) region of the Northern Philippines. 
I write poems everyday so I could survive, so I could tell myself that I am living.
I write about the Cordilleras and beyond. I was born and raised here and I have no problem in dying here. The mountains is my source of inspiration. She is my muse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

This Is Malaysia

2020