SB: Used To This

NaPoWriMo Challenge Prompt Week 9:

"Today, I challenge you to write a poem that includes a line that you’re afraid to write. This might be because it expresses something very personal that makes you uncomfortable – either because of its content (“I always hated grandma”), or because it seems too emotional or ugly or strange (“I love you so much I would eat a cockroach for you”). Or even because it sounds too boring or expected (“You know what? I like cooking noodles and going to bed at 7 p.m.”). But it should be something that you’re genuinely a little scared to say."


I could get used to this.

I could get used to being picked up & dropped off, because you want to spend that small amount of time with me despite the fact that it is out of your way.

I could get used to your good morning phone calls despite the fact that it is always at 8am and I hate mornings.

I could get used to having you care about whether my friends are alright and asking if I'm alright with them.

I could get used to sitting back as you make conversation with my closest people, and listening to you guys all get along swimmingly, even if it is at my expense.

I could get used to you gently stroking my cheek, or ruffling my hair, or leaning in to give me a peck when I'm driving your car, never having to worry that you would doubt my navigation or driving skills.

I could get used to your face, staring at me with that small smile concocted of fascination and admiration every time I do something I think is completely miniscule but you find completely adorable.

I could get used to you loving me in your patient and persevering way, especially when I'm being difficult and guarded and almost unyielding.

I could get used to your soft words filled with conviction, ensuring me that you're here to stay and to love me despite the hard person I am.

I could get used to being unapologetically myself without a shred of doubt.
To not having to worry about crossing a line with a harsh joke.
To smiling.
To this unadulterated happiness.

And that's what scares me the most,
The fact that if I allowed myself to,
I could get used to this,
And I could also potentially lose it.

- SB
3.07pm, 19th July 2016
Artisan HQ


SB is a conflicted soul of sorts, who is mad enough to go chase after what she really loves as opposed to conform to society and her mother's idea of a successful person. She prays she makes it in life, because she will not be able to tolerate the nagging that would follow if she doesn't. Her inspiration comes from everything around her, as well as made up situations in her head. Good luck distinguishing between the two. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

This Is Malaysia

2020