Something Happened

Sometimes the best things happen when you don't see them coming, and when you look back & try to trace when it did, the only way to do so is in the form of poetry. Also inspired by Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (Something is Happening)

I guess you could say it crept up on us.

Somewhere in between gazing at each other at Bait as we inconspicuously rested our hands on the table, immersed in the conversation yet conscious that we wanted to touch each other but not quite bridging that small distance between our fingers.

As I watched you watch me devour koli kari, exclaiming how it was the best I've ever had & I never knew chicken curry could ever taste this good paired with a piping hot crispy egg roti, all the while wearing your shades, because it was 1030 in the morning and I hate sunlight.

You sat across from me as I looked into the near distance at the KK Mart, grinning stupidly because my hair was the colour of the night sky and the galaxy and it made me feel liberated, happy and giddy all at the same time. A feeling similar to when you compliment me in that matter-of-fact way of yours, as though the flattery is the truth & I really am nothing short of amazing. 

It sneaked up on us on those occasions I sat in the passenger seat & you brushed your fingers softly against my cheek, searching for the curve at the side created by my smile & laughter that you've analyzed and put on a scale.

Or maybe it was when you caught me off guard everytime you softly sang verses from Hindi songs I knew nothing of & didn't understand, but wanted to keep listening to because somehow they seemed to sing to my heart. 

I can't put my finger on it. How in a week, with small affections & whispers you sent me off a ledge despite my best efforts to cling onto the edge with all my might. Everything feels so natural yet new & unfamiliar because girls like me don't get treated like this, especially not by guys like you.

I am not the flowery happy poet, and I don't write about love unless it involves pain & loss or to warn people to Please Don't Date Me.

But somehow, 
Somewhere along the way, 
Something Happened. 

And I couldn't be more thankful that it did. 

- SB
1.41pm, 21st June 2016
Ghetto HQ



SB is a conflicted soul of sorts, who is mad enough to go chase after what she really loves as opposed to conform to society and her mother's idea of a successful person. She prays she makes it in life, because she will not be able to tolerate the nagging that would follow if she doesn't. Her inspiration comes from everything around her, as well as made up situations in her head. Good luck distinguishing between the two. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

2020

This Is Malaysia