Please Don’t Date Me

Sometimes so many relationships crash and burn, you start to wonder if you're the problem. Perhaps you are, and perhaps the very essence of you is the problem. If that's the case, you should probably put up warning signs & keep men away from you, or else girl - you're going to get hurt. 

Please don't date me.

Don't smile at me & make witty conversation, then ask me for my number and talk to me every night till 4 in the morning about absolutely nothing. Please don't have cute arguments with me in these conversations about things that will make me believe there's a connection.

Please don't ask me out to dinner, or for coffee, or for some quirky first date that will be that cute story we tell people later on. Don't smile at me over a cup of tea & don't offer to get me tissues when I spill something. Don't be considerate to my needs and whimsical wants and try to fulfill them then act like it was nothing.

Don't hold my hand, and look deeply into my eyes like you're staring straight into my soul. I don't need for you to see me, and then think that you could love who I am. Don't softly graze my cheek with your fingertips and make me catch my breath and feel electricity run through my body. It's volatile, making me feel like you're attracted to me, don't do that.

Don't send me romantic Whatsapps at 3 in the afternoon & make me feel like romance is a possibility for such a rough girl like me. Don't be gentle & make me believe I am different, and that you can accept this difference. Don't tell me to be myself. We both know eventually my self will be too much to handle and you'll ask me to tone it down.

Above all,
Don't let me get used to you. Don't lull me into the notion that you'll be here forever just loving me in that gentle way of yours & that you have the capacity to withhold all that I am. Because once that happens,  I'll give you all of me. My time, my efforts, my affections, all of it will be yours. It won't happen slowly, it just takes a moment. I am stupid that way.

I will go out of my way for you. I'll do little things every day to ensure you know I love you. I'll be there when I feel you need me to be, even if you say its too much trouble. I'll craft out plans and change them just to fit to you. I'll adapt. I'll be happy. I'll be stupidly happy & thank the stars every day for you.

But in my happiness, I will get careless. I will forget what happened before, and be so consumed in the happiness that you have brought. Then I'll do something stupid. I'll take a joke too far or talk too much or not be attentive enough & in that moment, you will lose it.

You will tell me what you really think about me. Attack me relentlessly, delivering blow after blow without mercy. You'll tell me what a horrible person I really am, and how you've been putting up with me for so long. You'll tell me I am uncaring, I am cold and that I am so rough. You'll really lay it on me. And I won't say anything back.

You won't know how to deal with me. My initial allure and illusion has shattered and now that you see me, you hate it. It's not at all the romantic persona you dreamt up. You're upset. You expected something else. And me? I am just hurt that it has happened yet again.

So save us both the time & the trouble, and please don't date me. Because its the same template script over and over again, and the lead character is worn out. Completely.

- SB
1.44pm, 2nd September 2015 (Wed)
C.Michael's, Bangsar


SB is a conflicted soul of sorts, who is mad enough to go chase after what she really loves as opposed to conform to society and her mother's idea of a successful person. She prays she makes it in life, because she will not be able to tolerate the nagging that would follow if she doesn't. Her inspiration comes from everything around her, as well as made up situations in her head. Good luck distinguishing between the two. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

2020

Siren Serenade