Things I Keep

I kept it secret from my parents
that I dreamed of three black pigs slaughtered
along the mountain trails I was treading.

I kept it secret from my parents
that I did sangbo. We butchered
three chickens and did the id-idew.
We checked the bile and prayed
that whatever omen that comes is good.

My parents knew I missed two flights.
They clasped their Bible and prayed
for my safety to Jesus Christ.

I kept it secret from my parents
that I did the things they used to do then
before I travel to baba for competitions
- choose a good chicken, strike its wings,
legs, and head with a hard stick til’ it dies,
butcher it, check its bile, then pour its blood
together with tapey on the earth.

I kept these things from my parents.
Because since they accepted their savior
Jesus Christ, they kept a lot of things too.
Like the kuli underneath our lababo.
The earthen jar that used to contain fermenting rice
is now a secret hiding place of cockroaches.

- Dumay



I am Dumay from the Cordilleras (mountain) region of the Northern Philippines. 
I write poems everyday so I could survive, so I could tell myself that I am living.
I write about the Cordilleras and beyond. I was born and raised here and I have no problem in dying here. The mountains is my source of inspiration. She is my muse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

2020

This Is Malaysia