From SB: To The Women

I couldn't pick a specific woman to write to, there have been too many who have inspired me with their stories & actions. Some I've known personally, some from history, some I've only seen on TV. But they've all been important, and they've all been relevant. So here is to them, to all the women. 

To the women who have passed,
Who paved the way for miniskirts, votes, and short hair,
For girls in university lecture halls & for pregnant women in the workplace,
I thank you.

To the women no longer here,
Who washed linens, cooked lunches and mothered,
Who scolded and beat their children then wiped away their tears,
I thank you.

To the women who were assaulted,
By uncles, cousin brothers & strangers,
And then were told it was their fault,
I am sorry.

To the women who were defeated,
By patriarchy in the form of culture or religion,
Interpreted by men whose minds were too small,
I am sorry.

To the women who were glammed up,
With makeup & shiny dresses and high heels,
To be put on silver screens and the front of magazines,
I adore you.

To the women on the ground,
Who fought for their beliefs & were pushed to the gravel,
And crawled through mud to make a statement,
I adore you.

To the women to come,
The ones who are giggly girls still with clouds in their minds,
Who run around with jeans and a tutu all at the same time,
I believe in you.

To the women who are becoming women,
With insecurities about acne and belly fat,
Googling home workouts and laying off white bread,
I believe in you.

To all women,
Wherever you are,
Whatever you’ve done,
I love you.

- SB
5.22pm, 14th March 2016 
The Loaf, D’Pulze Cyberjaya




SB is a conflicted soul of sorts, who is mad enough to go chase after what she really loves as opposed to conform to society and her mother's idea of a successful person. She prays she makes it in life, because she will not be able to tolerate the nagging that would follow if she doesn't. Her inspiration comes from everything around her, as well as made up situations in her head. Good luck distinguishing between the two. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

This Is Malaysia

2020