The Effect You Have On Me

Another Mysteries of Laura inspired poem. Was trying to channel Laura's inner voice in this one, because pretending to be in someone's head can be quite fun. Especially when it is a fictional character. 

The effect you have on me,
Is not something I can go see the doctor for.
It's a tragic euphoric feeling,
As you stride in & out like my life is a revolving door.

I would not say you were my favourite drug,
Because this is not an addiction.
You can go to rehab for that,
This is more like an affliction.

My heart aches for you whenever you're gone,
And out of nowhere I can suddenly weep,
Memories of your smile leave me forlorn,
And I wish once again that you were nearer to me.

There is no substitute for that charming face,
And these feelings I don't have for anyone else,
For months you disappear without a trace,
And yet in just a few hours you sweep me off my feet.

I sing endless hours of songs that remind me of you,
And I belt them out loud with all my heart,
With every simple little thing you do,
I feel myself coming undone.

"I love you, I love you", I wish to say.
But before I know it, you're gone once again.
All that's left is the effect you have on me,
Which never seems to dwindle away.

So I get drunk on melancholy,
Because there is no doctor, no cure,
Just a woman living off fumes of a memory,
Of an almost love that in itself is so pure.

- SB
3.14pm, 1st February 2016
SMK Assunta Staff Room


SB is a conflicted soul of sorts, who is mad enough to go chase after what she really loves as opposed to conform to society and her mother's idea of a successful person. She prays she makes it in life, because she will not be able to tolerate the nagging that would follow if she doesn't. Her inspiration comes from everything around her, as well as made up situations in her head. Good luck distinguishing between the two. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

This Is Malaysia

2020