From SY: To Someone Who Has Changed My Life

Today's letter is to Mama Russia. My time with her is where I have seen, learned, grown and become who I am today. Because of that opportunity, I had the privilege to meet people who have enriched my life and experienced countless things that have made me to what you see before you.

Дорогая, дорогая Мама Россия,
Как у вас дела?
по тебе я  скучаю всегда,
Я сказала до свидания слишком
скоро.

Translation:
Dear, dear Mama Russia,
How are things with you?
I miss you always,
I said goodbye to soon.

[Dorogaya, dorogaya Mama Rossiya,
Kak u vas dela?
Po tebye ya skuchayu vsegda,
Ya skazala Do svidaniya slishkom skora.]

I have known you existed long before I met you,
So many talk about you and made you a popular feature,
Never did I think I would have the chance to encounter you,
Fresh out of school back then, it became real in the very near future.

It was spring when I met you about eight years ago,
A stranger so foreign beyond what I could imagine,
I lugged my luggage and bid farewell to the familiars I know,
To embark on a new phase in life to write a new origin.

You welcomed me with pale, stern faces,
Not knowing how to speak a word of your language,
I couldn't make heads or tails of the phrases,
Getting passed this borders was the start if this patronage.

At first you were dry, dull, and very cold,
There was an awkward silence of stares and suspicion,
The capital of industry and place for people to strike gold,
The surface was just uninspiring to the imagination.

I threaded carefully with paranoia and the fear of skin heads,
We travelled in groups and walked extensively,
Entirely unsure to believe the things that people have said,
Over time we got over that period of anxiety.

I met the different sides you had to offer,
Your temperaments were rough kinds of weather,
The brutally harsh chilling winters,
And the hot, burning, shashlik crazy summers.

I learnt the need for good protection,
Be it physical, mental, spiritual or emotional.
To stay guarded against devious infections,
In forms of disease, social ills or attacks by mortals.

You showed me that people aren't always as they seem to be,
There are those who are truly honest and sincere,
Those who play by the crowd with fake personality,
And those who were malignant and severe.

You showed me what it meant to be alone,
A chance to explore an undiscovered introvert,
Even when there was no one around and a silent tone,
There would always be His presence that surrounds and comforts.

You showed me where I could thrive and belong,
A family that loves, serves, worships and lives with compassion,
You provided a place to flow in the giftings and spiritual songs,
I escalated exponentially and learnt the best ways of expression.

Through you I forged unbreakable bonds,
Was introduced to the dreamers of the amazing,
Those blessed with joy to infinity and beyond,
Connections that are valuable and awe-inspiring.

You were where I discovered every shade of grey,
That could ever exist in between black and white,
A challenge to face every night and every day,
To make decisions that were wise and right.

You tested my limits to what I could and could not do,
The extent of drills and mind boggling assignments,
The potentials that were untapped because I never had a clue,
Late nights of cramming, and participating in events.

You showed me the person I was, is and is yet to be,
An amplified persona to fit every occasion,
With every year of experience you build what is now the current me,
You unravelled the depths of my various passions.

You let me make mistakes and let me face the consequences,
You made me learn the meaning of cause and effect,
I was hurt, burned, hated, betrayed at different instances,
I had to learn to correct my wrongdoings and adapt to my defects.

You are where I found my confidence,
Where I learned about companionship,
I have terabytes of memorable life changing experience,
Worth while training in styles of leadership.

Over the years you turned out to be very beautiful,
I fell in love with you the more I discovered,
You had a heart of desperation, beating with culture so colourful,
Despite being one who went through intense pain and suffered.

Teeming with a rich multi-layered history,
In as much as I embraced your ways,
There is still so much that remains a mystery,
I would desire to see you again one of these days.

I spent two thirds of a decade making you my home,
Three hundred over days a year of bonding and surviving,
When it was time to go back to my other home,
To close our chapter was ever so conflicting.

Спасибо за всë Мама Россия,
С любовью от моего сердца,
На здоровья!
Для счастья!

Translation:
Thank you for everything Mama Russia,
With love from my heart,
To health!
For joy!

[Spasiba za vsyo Mama Rassiya,
S lyubov'yu ot moyevo cerdtsa,
Na zdaroviya!
Dlya schast'ya!]

- SY

Written at 21:15H on 27th October 2015
At 61 Wong Clan



SY is a 'Jacqueline of all trades' who loves wearing plaids.
She doesn't believe in things that fade and fulfils the promises that she made.
She seeks the hearts of the troubled, to be a listener in times when things are doubled.
She's the kind who stands in the gap, who will only call it quits when it's a wrap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Siren Serenade

This Is Malaysia

Swinging From Memory To Memory