From SB: Someone That Changed My Life

I put off writing this poem because I couldn't take the pressure. I still can't. But I realized he probably would never read it anyway. But then again, he is an all-seeing kind of person so you never know. Here's to the man who gave me many opportunities, opened my eyes to new things and new places, and my mind to so much more than that. 

This poem is written in haste,
So it might not be very good or to your taste,
Your critical point of view is the yardstick & this poem will not reach that bar,
Trust me – this is a mediocre piece by far.

As I sit here to write this I am already filled with anxiety,
Your one judgement outweighs all of society,
But because this is a challenge that I must complete,
You steely stare in my head I must defeat.

I met you three years ago when I was barely a first year,
Your first lecture itself had inflicted an appropriate amount of fear,
If only we had all known it was part of your social experiment,
To separate us into personalities – the lazies and the competent.

It wasn’t till 2014 that I really got to know you better,
But even then I was only skimming the surface of who you are,
You skipped up mountains through all sorts of weather,
You would take walking any day over a ride in a car.

My fondest memory of you is of us huddled in the kitchen,
As you chopped vegetables & swore at them profusely,
You told us not to engage with the persistent kitten,
As you cooked a meal every so smoothly.

A lot of my personality are bits and pieces of observing you,
Your blunt pursuit of the truth is one of the best things you do,
As I reminisce of days trying to work with a blunt knife,
I always say a prayer for you – the person who changed my life.

- SB
3.58pm, 27th October 2015
Kedai Sebelah



SB is a conflicted soul of sorts, who is mad enough to go chase after what she really loves as opposed to conform to society and her mother's idea of a successful person. She prays she makes it in life, because she will not be able to tolerate the nagging that would follow if she doesn't. Her inspiration comes from everything around her, as well as made up situations in her head. Good luck distinguishing between the two. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swinging From Memory To Memory

2020

This Is Malaysia